Monday 14 January 2008

2nd Lab session - Building in Second Life

Monday 2008-01-14

After the last session, I spent sometime at home and tried to learn more about how to do different things in SL, including following the tutorial in the 'Creating your world' book by Second Life. The book is very interesting with very good illustrations guiding me through how to create different shapes and how to assemble them into different objects.

Since Judy told us to go and find some free stuff, I've searched for 'freebies' using the SL built-in search function, and it came up with loads of places that we can go to get free stuff. I recommend 'freebies island' as it's really free, not costing anything unlike some of the freebie places, charging $L1 for each items.

Me @ Freebies Island (140,147,29)

Apart from trying all the building techniques, I have also visited a lot of different places by searching different keywords in the SL search function, I've got some free stuff, including textures, furnitures, houses, vehicles, accessories, and clothings etc. I was curious if there is a place called 'Hong Kong' in Second Life as I miss my hometown so much :) , and I found one, it's name is 'Hong Kong Island' with the coordinate of 122,136,23. I found that most of the buildings are very well built, and they do look like the real ones in Hong Kong. Good places to look at includes the big budda statue, and the New Hong Kong Exihibition Centre, they are brilliant. Although the locations of those buildings are not exactly where they supposed to be, but it's second life, anything can be anywhere :)

A snapshot taken when I teleported to Hong Kong Island (with the flag in the background)


The Buddha Statute in HongKong Island (62,103,62)

When I first landed in Hong Kong Island, I saw that lovely driveway they had built, and I decided to drag one of the lovely vehicle that I had obtained from freebie Island earlier on to the road and try to drive it, but as I haven't done that before, instead of dragging one out of the inventory list, I tried to wear the vehicle, surprisingly SL let me to do so, so I looked like an idiot walking around with a bike attached on my head... ;p

Me wearing a bike (not riding it)

As I am living in Edinburgh now, I also checked out rather they have built a good Edinburgh in SL, once I've teleported myself to 'Edinburgh North' at 72,97,37 , I found myself in a very familar place, I keep thinking that place looks like Calton Hill, and when I looked up the location title bar, there I was, the creator of that landscape must have done a great job :)

Me @ Calton Hill, Edinburgh


Today we have learnt about the concept of creativity in the lecture, and at this lab session in the afternoon, we have learnt and tried to create different objects on the HW Island together through a little competition, each of us had to create something before the end of the tutorial, and Judy decided who built the best object by the end of the class. I have learnt more than just following the book to create objects, I've also got to experience how to be creative.

I didn't know what to create, but I suddenly wanted a lolly-pop so I created a giant lolly-pop, and a giant sweet :)

My giant lollie-pop and my giant sweet

Although I didn't win the competition, I do think that I've learnt to be creative in this lab :)

No comments: